USAA Director, Business Risk & Controls in San Antonio, Texas
Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking talented Director, Business Risk & Controls for our San Antonio, TX facility.
Oversees a team responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of risk and compliance management programs in the first line of defense. Ensures the overall effectiveness and adherence to the governance of the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls and is accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing team responsible for risk and control self-assessments, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, market conduct exams, and monitoring the first line of defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment.
- Directs staff and initiatives that support risk and control management programs, to include governance support, risk oversight, risk infrastructure development, identification, quantification, and aggregation of key and emerging risks and/or operational risks and controls.
- Advises senior management and influences process change.
- Builds and manages a high performing team of risk professionals through recruitment, training, coaching, performance management and related managerial activities.
- Manages consulting relationships with internal and external clients in regard to budget and implementation deliverables and risk mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls, including risks associated with new or modified products, services, distribution channels, regulations and/or third party operations.
- Directs the formulation of stress test plans for a line of business or the enterprise, evaluates results, and frames contingency plans in partnership with key business stakeholders.
- Directs the oversight of model risk through model documentation review, assessment of performance monitoring, model validation, and use implementation.
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of risk policies and procedures in partnership with senior leaders to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Provides counsel to business unit managers on risk management issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on their impact to USAA's risk profile.
- Develops, implements and oversees the risk management frameworks.
- Formulates risk management policies, procedures and standards in conjunction with senior management and risk management committees.
- Educates risk owners on risk management best practices and may work with other risk functions in the development and implementation of risk controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal loss data from business areas.
- Directs analysis and data mining initiatives that identify, validate, and manage emerging risk exposures, as necessary.
- Assists in the early identification of risk trends by establishing and monitoring key performance and risk indicators.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.
- Bachelor's Degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance or related field of study; Four additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Eight or more years of relevant operations experience in a relevant functional area to include financial services, insurance, banking, audit, public accounting, information technology, or related functional area. OR Eight or more years of experience in a quantitative discipline relevant to financial risk management.
- Three or more years of leadership or managerial experience.
- Expert knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance, industry regulations and regulatory data sources required.
Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Working knowledge of ORM guidelines for Risk, Control and Issue documentation
- Knowledge of or experience with testing tools such as ACL.
- Expert knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance, industry regulations and regulatory data sources
- CPA designation
- CRCM, CIA, CCSA, NBE or other risk/compliance certifications
- MBA or advanced degree
- Experience interacting with management, regulatory agencies, and business partners to ensure appropriate execution of regulatory requests
- Knowledge of banking, insurance or investment laws and regulations, as applicable
- Experience with audit and exam engagement
Selected candidates will attend and complete the Management Development School program in San Antonio, TX, during their first six months in position.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 04/17/18 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Director, Business Risk & Controls TX-San Antonio R0019394